7.19.2006

Language with a side of cheese toasties...

Your Linguistic Profile:
70% General American English
15% Upper Midwestern
5% Midwestern
5% Yankee
0% Dixie

Apparently, my speech is boring and normal. Of course, they didn't ask about "cheese toasties"*. That probably would have thrown things off a bit.



*"Cheese toasties" are grilled cheese sandwiches. I never realized that it was an abnormal thing to say until I went to college. Where my friends teased me mercilessly. The only person who would back me up was GT from down the hall, who was also from around Decatur (Illinois). So maybe it's a Decatur thing. Or maybe we're just freaks. If you know the deal with cheese toasties, please weigh in on this.

3 Comments:

At 7:19 AM, Anonymous marty said...

Hmm. I've never heard Americans calling grilled cheese sandwiches cheese toasties, but I have in Ireland and Fiji and Australia - though it was usually "cheese toasted". (Being poor and a vegetarian, I ate of a lot of them.) I always figured it was an English thing that made its way to the colonies - but then why only Decatur instead of the rest of America?

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Jane said...

Must be that 5% Yankee, because I've never heard of cheese toasties and I am 0% Yankee...

Came across your blog at Blogher and enjoying it!

I'm with you on not being a high-maintenance bride. I wasn't either, and neither was my mom! I ordered my cake over the phone and it was my mom's idea. And it was excellent!

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a Decatur, IL thing. I live in GA now, but entire family calls it that. We're originally from DEcatur, Il.

Long live the cheese toastie. It we were all the same it would be boring.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

« chicago blogs »